Elysium Healthcare is pleased to announce the opening of Ash Ward, a new, specialist inpatient service for older men at Gateway Recovery Centre in Widnes.
Latest guidance on dementia friendly environments has informed the design and decor of Ash Ward which has 12 en suite bedrooms, all on the ground floor.
The ward has an easily accessible, safe garden and sensory areas; it is uncluttered and naturally lit. With a purpose-built design, the grounds accommodate Service Users’ personal preferences and create a home-like environment with smaller social areas.
Family visiting rooms are available on and off the ward, along with access to a disabled friendly bathroom and toilets.
Our Service Users typically present with risks and/or challenging behaviours that cannot be safely managed in the community, residential care or nursing home settings.
- Men of any age with a primary diagnosis of dementia or related neuropsychiatric conditions.
- Men with a mental disorder and physical illness or frailty that contributes to, or complicated, the management of their mental illness. This may include people under 65 years of age.
- Men with psychological or social difficulties related to the ageing process, or end-of-life issues whose needs may be best met by a service for older people. This would typically include people over 70 years of age.
- Men subject to Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) or those who are detained under the Mental Health Act (1983).
We have an experienced multidisciplinary team consisting of:
- A Consultant Psychiatrist with expertise in old age psychiatry
- A nursing team that has expertise in managing older people with mental illness, cognitive problems, physical health issues as well as challenging behaviour
- Psychology team specialising in cognitive assessment, behaviour assessment tools, psychological formulation and expert support
- Occupational therapy service delivering functional assessments and adaptations, activities and dementia focused strategies
- Dedicated hospital social worker who works in close partnership with patients, families and community teams
Click here to learn more about Gateway Recovery Centre.